Monday, October 21, 2019

a dalit Dadhichi




take my tail and set it on fire,
i will get you this Savarnpuri burnt into ashes.
fill in my elephantine brain a gallon of gunpowder
i will get you razed all to the ground
grind my bones and collect all phosphorous,
and like gulal sprinkle it on their white faces
or draw tripundra on their foreheads.
squeeze out all my words
to collect bowls of green poison 
and pollute their pitchers of gangajal.
now break into pieces my beloved pen --
it only cries like the saras-crane incessantly.
take, my dear brethren, all I have I dedicate to you:
make from my bones vajra or kavach.
i am son of a chamar, the skinner,
the tanner and the carcass collector.
what else can I do for you while living like this?
if you ask, shall I flay some savarna skins
to make you chappals?
shall i pierce with my knife-sharpening aar
those gluttonous bellies that took away your morsel
and you feed on them from the boiling pot
adding a pinch of salt?
i can no longer see and hear –
these rivers of blood,
these sky-scraping lamentations,
these cries of sufferings,
these flames burning our bastis.

( Dadhichi, a rishi in Hindu mythology is credited with giving up his life in order to allow the Devas  use his bones to make weapons to defeat the Asura Vritra )

No comments:

Post a Comment