Monday, October 21, 2019

a letter to roocha




dear richa,
I know, there runs the vedic blood in your veins.
you have been breastfed by twin-mothers :
the shriti and smriti.
and you are beautified with brahminic crest.
I know, your childhood passed
in the courtyards swept by my father.
you had first seen our huts-
beyond the boundaries of our village
at the early teens of gaurivrata.
and for the first time
was born the nausea
in your innocent eyes.
you had seen people
divided into four divisions in descending order
as per the rule of varnashrama.
richa, my clansmen still preserve that early
introduction you disgusted.
still the dog of your street barks
at my father in loin-cloth shouting the service of anoja
to the whole of the village.
still in the supper,
mother brings begged rice.
we eat and enjoy and live.

that very name of your classmate happens to recite our teacher :
janmana jayate sudra, sanskarat dwija uchyate.
you happeded to have a new introduction
with the help of social-sciences-shelf of our library.
you offer me formal congrats
for the dazzling medal at the convocation.
that’s not all, richa.
I love you from the depths of my heart.
there is only a fence of ignorance between us
as is between my hut-and your house in the village.
if crossed, my feelings will blossom
like a bough in the spring.
rich, you are dearer than the richa of Vedas.
you are my love-line from meghdoot,
you are my rubaiyat from Omar Khayyam

No comments:

Post a Comment